I arrived back Friday night from Australia with the children and on Sunday morning amid a Typhoon warning the removalists came in and started taking the apartment apart. As the day wore on there were more boxes and more removalists. Each time I looked there were a few extras, funny......
On Monday they started ferrying the boxes and furniture whilst Mark patched up any nail holes at the old apartment. The removalists came in at 9 am and they finally finished at about 9.45 pm....such a long and tiring day for all of us.
Removal days , not unlike wedding days, always seem to have their fair share of "glitches" and this one was no different.
There seemed to be plenty going wrong not the least of which was that the telecommunications company came out to install the phone and internet but left again because they couldn't find the "box" which is apparently the brains of the telecom for the house. Obviously we didn't know where it might be, the landlord had no idea and so two days later they came back again and finally found it, after two hours of searching every nook and cranny and manhole, hidden behind a glass mirror with a fake door (of course, so obvious!!) why would there not at least be a little sticker or sign?
Two of our pieces of furniture wouldn't ft in the lift so had to be hand carried up to the 9th floor (ouch again!)
Add to this the one room in the house that sees constant action (the kitchen) which is the thoroughfare to the service lift and the rest of the house has a door handle that comes off in your hand every time you close it. Annoying and frustrating?? Yes, absolutely- especially after the 3 millionth time .
My office keys were nicely packed away in a bag at the bottom of a box somewhere, so when Wednesday rolled around I had no way to get into the office early, so I had to sit outside and wait for the cleaner to "rescue" me.
Add to this that the gas hot water system in the Master suite failed on the first day- 2 days with cold showers (brrrr) and the air-conditioning is working INTERMITTENTLY throughout the whole house (and yes, it is SUMMER) and my week has been filled with frustration.
Still, on the upside we now have the house 90% unpacked, our lovely rosewood bedroom furniture arrived after a 3.5 month production time and all the whole house-full of curtains arrived perfectly the way we ordered from China (no small feat on a big order in a different language) and they are all hung and all the artwork is on the walls........yeah
So in short it is finally coming together as our new home.
There are still plenty of odds and sods to take care of but I should hopefully get to those this week. Lists, lists and more lists :)
The children start back at school on Monday (after 6 weeks at home - 2 weeks home schooling due to swine flu school closure then 4 weeks of holidays) and Mark is off to Thailand and then Shanghai this week.
I will send on our change of address very soon...........
2 comments:
Welcome back my dear and I am SO SO SO sorry this time around your arrival back was so tumultuous... ouch, everything happening at the same time, all together!! Where did you move to? I think you mentioned Kennedy Rd, right? But where? Love, hugs and kisses, Odila
Wow, I am exhausted from just reading this entry. I know you must be tired! I hope that since the passage of this week that things are more settled and the glitches have resolved themselves. I hope that this becomes a happy, stressfree, mold free home for you guys.
Post a Comment